Thursday, April 18, 2013

Running Skirt Review


My Impulsivity Bites Me in the Rear Again

So, recently I was all, "I'm rewarding myself!" and I ordered a new running skirt.  I thought I'd try a new brand. 

Stupid!

Of course, there was nothing wrong with my original skirt.  I've used it for every single run I've taken since I bought it almost a year ago.  I've washed it in a lingerie bag on cold and hung it to dry numerous times a week.  It's in incredible, like-new condition.  I've even lost 30 pounds in this skirt, and it still does not ride up.  It is great. 

So what possessed me to get a new one? 

Well, of course, more than one running skirt could sure save me some hassle... and I've been wanting a more neutral color, so matching is less challenging.

But was there a real need to change brands??!?!?

So, as you can guess, my new skirt failed me.

(wah, wah, waaaah...)


Read the Reviews, Duh

So, ever the bargain shopper, I was looking to find a deal.  While my Sparkle Skirt is worth every single penny, I just recently dropped a TON of money on new running shoes, a trip to DC, an expensive race... you get the idea.

So, when I saw FREE SHIPPING on runningskirts.com, I thought it was worth a shot.  Yes, I read reviews, and yes, some of them said the shorts rode up.  But I went ahead and ordered one anyway.
(forehead slap)

I thought, "there were hardly any reviews describing the shorts riding up...  there's a sale... they're cute skirts... there's a sale... I really want a new one... there's a sale... and I could write a review on my blog... and there's a sale!!!!!!"


Running Skirts www.Runningskirts.com


I ordered a black "athletic skirt."  When it arrived, (in about a week or so), I was pretty excited.  I figured I'd give it a quick try walking around the house a bit, and even a slow jog on the treadmill.  If it worked out, I'd remove the tags and start my normal treadmill workout.  Exciting!


When I put it on, I was pretty thrilled.  This skirt was adorable!  I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get a photo of it to post here.  The cut was hot, and the black was slimming.  I felt- dare I say... sexy!!  The BF was a BIG fan as well.  ;)

I wasn't crazy about the little logo on it.  It wasn't ugly or anything, but I'd have preferred it not be there.  The little running girl logo seemed larger in person than in the photo, too.  I was also little bummed with the pockets.  They're on the hips on the outside of the skirt.  That's a major drawback in my book.  I NEED pockets in order store my inhaler.  I can't run without my inhaler, and most other running gear isn't very inhaler-friendly.  If I had put an inhaler in these pockets (or anything else bulky, for that matter), I'd have had some strange looking hips.  I'm honestly too vain for that.

Unfortunately, while I felt really cute in this skirt, it only took a quick walk around the room to make me nervous about it.  It felt like the bike shorts were going to ride up.  I really wanted it to work, though, so I wasn't ready to admit defeat yet.  I walked downstairs, and down even further to the treadmill in the basement.  Again, I found myself wondering, "are these shorts starting to creep up?"

It only took my slowest, most pathetic paced jog on the treadmill- for about one minute- to realize the shorts were indeed riding up.  MAJOR BUMMER!  I really wanted to love this skirt.  I did love this skirt.  Did I mention how cute it was?  I wouldn't have hesitated to keep it and just wear it in place of shorts for everyday use this summer, but my budget was screaming, "no!"  If I am going to spend a lot of money on a running skirt, it needs to be a skirt I can run in.

So, unfortunately, I had to take the skirt off, put my beloved standby skirt back on, and go about my workout.  I reviewed the receipt the next day for their return policy.

uh oh...  First glance at the return policy says in-store credit only.  What??!?!  I clearly am not the right shape girl for these skirts, and the last thing I need is more running shirts or other gear.  I need a skirt!  I need that money back to get a different skirt that works!

So, I took a deep, cleansing breath, and read again.  Ok, so "sale" items can't be returned for cash, but it looks like regular priced items can.  Still, I worried (cuz I have junk luck) that the free shipping might be considered a "sale."  I sure thought of it as a sale when I justified spending the money in the first place.  ;)

I called the company.  I briefly asked the gal on the line if I could return my skirt for a refund.  She never asked about if it was on sale.  She never asked my reason for returning.  She wasn't very talkative at all, actually.  Hmm... She must have been busy.  She just said that I should send back the skirt with a note on the packing slip stating I wanted a refund, and they would "take it from there." 

Um, ok.

So, that's what I did.  I'm waiting now to see what happens.  (I'll update later.)  As far as I'm concerned, if they refund me, we're all good.  Really, it's a great skirt.  I bet it works great for lots of people.  I however, have a significant tummy.  I also have rather large thighs that rub together more than any human's should.  Sad, but true.    I'm confident that if you do not have a significant tummy and cricket-like rubbing thighs, you will love this skirt.  Surely, you'll feel hot in it.  I can definitely vouch for that. :)

UPDATE: 4/20/13 one day after they received my return, I got an email from runningksirts.com notifying me of my refund- no questions asked.  Yay!  That's good customer service in my book.


My Beloved Skirt  www.sparkleskirts.com


So, after all that, I'll take a minute to tell you why I love the skirt I do have.

As I've said before, I've had it a long time.  It's been almost a year already, actually.  I've worn it about three runs a week for a year.  I throw it in a lingerie bag, wash it on the normal cycle, in cold water.  They recommend washing on gentle, but I never have.  I've not had one string start to unravel, no fraying, no losing its shape... not a single complaint.

I've lost, as I've said, more than thirty pounds wearing this skirt.  It still fits nicely, but the shorts are just recently starting to inch up just the tiniest bit sometimes.  I really think that's because my thighs are getting just a little smaller.  (Yay!)  It is time for a new one.

Beyond how great it has held up and it's lack of ride-up, it has other great qualities.  It is flattering.  It's got a fuller skirt.  At first, I worried that would look lame or old-ladylike.  It doesn't.  Well, I don't think so, anyway.  The fuller skirt hides my less attractive features, but it also hides my inhaler!  Each thigh has a huge 4x4' pocket on its side.  How cool is that?  And unless I lift the skirt, you'd never know anything was in there.  Awesome!

It also has a long, 12" pocket across the tummy.  I keep my pedometer there, and for my half marathon, it held gu nicely.  It's also a great place for my Burt's Bees, cough drops, etc.

I just love these skirts.  I recommend them to everyone.  I'm open to trying others, of course, but for now, I'm still running in my Sparkle Skirt.  www.sparkleskirts.com If I get a refund from the other place, I'm going to order the next size down in solid black.  I can hardly wait!


 




What skirts do you love?  Can it hide an inhaler?

Thanks for reading.






6 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of SkirtSports. Those suckers don't ride up! I have a capri/skirt combo I LOVE from them and two skirts. I'll be running in one tonight!

    I have three Sugoi skirts but the shorts are a little too short and they chafe on long runs. I think I'll be retiring those this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skirt Sports are definitely on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to get a skirt for a while now and was going to write a blog post today asking readers which is better. I was dismayed to see on the Runningskirts.com website that they only go up to a 16-18 while the Sparkle Skirts go to 3x. Glad to read your review. One step closer to my decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I honestly can't imagine regretting a purchase from sparkle skirts. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I love the Running Skirts brand, and after a few failed attempts similar to yours I stopped buying the athletic skirt. The shorts ride up like crazy on every pair I've bought. And I've submitted product reviews on their website stating the shorts ride up, and the reviews get deleted by their admin. I still love their skirts though, they are wonderful and I wear them for running almost exclusively. So what did I do with the athletic skirts with the bunching shorts? I cut the shorts out and wear them over my running capris or tights. Or they make a good swimsuit coverup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've really got to try the sparkle skirts. No chance of riding up.

      Delete